Visibility into Mainframe TCP/IP Communications Infrastructure Performance
This video demonstrates reporting that provides visibility into the mainframe TCP/IP communications infrastructure. Numerous activity and utilization metrics are reported, with drilldowns by system, socket, port number, and interface as appropriate.
The following use cases are covered:
- How much traffic is utilizing Hipersockets
- Is the traffic balanced across the OSA interfaces?
- What socket (address space) is using a given port?
- What ports are in use?
- What is the volume of TCP connections (by sysplex, system, port, or socket)?
The video covers the TCP/IP SMF 119 Records, Subtypes 5-7
SMF 119 Subtype 5: TCP/IP Statistics (by interval)
- Provides data about IP, TCP, UDP, and ICMP activity in the reporting TCP stack
- Also includes virtual storage metrics (e.g., ECSA allocated and free, Private allocated and free)
SMF 119 Subtype 6: Interface Statistics (by interval)
- Provides statistical data about the interfaces of a stack (e.g., inbound/outbound unicast/multicast/broadcast packets)
SMF 119 Subtype 7: Interface Statistics (by interval)
- Records statistics on TCP and UDP port activity; connection information is provided for TCP ports; traffic information is provided for UDP ports
Learn more about IntelliMagic Vision’s z/OS TCP/IP Network Performance Management.
Learn more how you can monitor your z/OS network traffic with IBM’s z/OS Encryption Readiness Technology (zERT)
Mainframe encryption causes higher demand in TCP/IP address space
Many shops are using IBM’s pervasive encryption to protect their mainframe's integrity, but how do we get in front of the mainframe impacts or know which encryption methods might meet security requirements at lower cost?
Health Insights and Change Detection
To help enhance the value you can derive from that SMF data, IntelliMagic Vision provides two complementary types of automated anomaly detection: health insights and change detection.
CICS Max Tasks: Automated Change Detection Use Case 7
Change Detection and Health Assessments (based on pre-defined best practice conditions) play complementary roles, but there can be scenarios where they both flag issues. This use case with CICS Max Tasks is one such example.
Experience firsthand the deepest visibility into your z/OS systems, processors, network, disk and tape environments. Whether you’re in the early stages of product research, evaluating competitive solutions, or trying to solve a problem, we’re happy to help you get the information you need to move forward with your IT initiatives.
Supported Areas in IntelliMagic Vision for z/OS Systems
Monthly License Charges (MLC)
Tune your processor configuration to increase the MIPS you get out of your mainframe hardware.Learn More
Configure Coupling Facilities for optimal availability and proactively identify hidden health and performance risksLearn More
See Buffer Pool imbalances and proactively identify upcoming risks to your Db2 health and performanceLearn More
Save time looking for problems and profile CICS transaction data and see transaction response timeLearn More
Ensure sufficient capacity and consistent performance for IBM zEDC availability.Learn More
Monitor the health of your TCP/IP and analyze traffic from different perspectives.Learn More